Monday, November 18, 2013

The Memorable Character Award: Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump
The film "Forrest Gump" changed me. It changed the way I thought about life, about death, and about everything in between. Forrest isn't bright, nor did he ever claim to be in the movie. He's a man from Greenbow, Alabama with very humble beginnings. As a boy, he never said much. He was just picked on for having braces on his legs. He was different. He just did what his momma told him. Forrest had problems with his legs, making him need braces on them. He couldn't run, he couldn't jump. But that was ok with Forrest. "You just have to do the best with what God gave you." Says his mother. And boy he did.
I'm not going to say anything else about the film, but if you've ever seen it, you know what I mean. There are dozens and dozens of quotes from the movie that applies to everyday life, and I have no

shame in repeating them incessantly. Such as:
"Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get."
"Stupid is as stupid does."
"My name's Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump."
"Lieutenant Dan, ICE CREAM."  
"Momma always said dying was a part of life. I wish it wasn't."
And there are SO many more. There's and emotional tie we all have with Forrest Gump. He's that guy that does the stuff want to do, but for us. And, to us, it seems like he doesn't have the intelligence to do it. But there's more to it. Forrest stays true to his morals, always. He never stops being Forrest Gump. He always says please and thank you. He always keeps his promises. He will always love Jenny. He will always love and listen to his momma. I wish I could stick to my morals as he does.
There is no other person who could have played Forrest Gump other than Tom Hanks. He was absolutely perfect. I aspire to act like--next to Bryan Cranston-- Tom Hanks. He's just excellent on every level. He provides an emotional experience without saying anything overly profound. It's incredible! Forrest Gump is my favorite movie of all time. And that right next to other masterpieces such as, "The Godfather", and "Inception". Thank you Forrest Gump. You've fully earned The Blackboard Journal's Memorable Character Award.
"And that's all I have to say about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment